The building shown below is the office of George Du Pont Old, a lumberman who was the first president of the Pantego Male and female Academy. He was Agent for the Pantego Albemarle Swamp Land Company and a very active citizen of Pantego. The building dates about 1870.
Old Pantego Jail. built around 1880. Formerly located along the creek, it was moved to the museum complex in 2007.
It has been restored and is now being furnished. It also served as Town Hall in early days
Pantego Academy Historical Museum Association Inc.
The Museum is housed in the former Male and Female Academy/Pantego High School building.The original building was built in 1874 by concerned citizens of the county . Their goal was to educate their children. The private Male and Female Academy continued through 1907 when the Beaufort County Board of Education purahased and enlarged it. It then became a public school serving grades 1 through 11.
The building is on the National Register of Historic Places. It is owned by the Pantego Academy Historical Museum Association Inc. a non profit 501 (c) 3.
Funding comes directly through donations and fund raisers. Your support to continue this historic work is greatly appreciated.